Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Labor + Delivery

At 37 weeks I was dilated to 1 cm and 50% effaced, my doctor stripped my membranes so I was hopeful that I would go into labor or that he'd be able to induce me the following week. When I went back at 38 weeks I was dilated to 2 cm and 80% effaced. I knew he wouldn't induce me unless I was at a ten on the Bishop's scale, and I needed to be dilated to at least a 3. It was a Monday when I went in to be checked for the last time. I was 39 1/2 weeks along and dilated to 3 cm and 80% effaced. My doctor said I could have my baby the next day if I wanted to! My Aunt Jill is a labor and delivery nurse at Orem Community Hospital, and I knew she wouldn't be able to be my nurse if we did it the next day, so we waited until Wednesday.

Dr. McCarter was my doctor and he was amazing. I would recommend him to anyone! He is younger guy and is just so chill. He was especially kind to me after my mom passed away. He immediately specialized me so that no matter what he would deliver my baby - even if he wasn't on call. It meant so much to me and made me feel so at ease knowing that he would deliver my baby.

The plan was to go to the hospital at 6:30 am on Wednesday morning. Tuesday night Jill called me and said that the hospital had a lot of patients, so to call at 6:00 am to make sure they were ready for me or else I might have to wait until the afternoon. I was a basket case! I was so anxious to get going and so I had to plan on waiting until afternoon so I wouldn't be disappointed.

Wednesday morning I got up around 5:00 am to shower and get all ready. When I called in at 6:00 they said they were ready for me to come in at 6:30. I was so relieved, and so nervous. When we got there it was so comforting to have Jill greet us and take us back. She had saved me the best room! IT was so nice and so big! We went over all of the paperwork and then she started my IV and got the petocin started. Around 8:00 Dr. McCarter came in to break my water. I expected to feel the big gush like everyone describes, but the baby's head was so far down that I didn't experience that. Then the contractions started. I was so unsure of when to get the epidural. For some reason I had it in my head that I'd get it when I was dilated to a 6 or 7 and I was only at a 3.5. At about 10:30 Trevor made the decision for me that I was ready for it and I was so grateful. Seriously, hardly even felt the epidural after feeling the contractions. I could have kissed the anesthesiologist. I felt relief almost immediately. I could move my legs the whole time but couldn't feel the contractions at all. At that point I was ready for my dad and sisters and Trevor's mom and sister to come in. I realized pretty quickly that while in pain I only wanted Trevor there. At that point we hung out for a while, took a nap, and relaxed. By 2:00 I was dilated to a 10 and fully effaced. With your first they like you to wait an hour or two before pushing so that the baby can move down on her own. At 4:00 I started pushing with Jill. She said she would call Dr. McCarter when we were getting close. Pushing was the hardest part. Every time I would sit up I would feel extremely nauseous, so pushing on top of that was making it really difficult. I was feeling so much pressure, so I took a break and had the anesthesiologist give me another dose then started pushing from my side. At this point I was so exhausted. I remember telling Trevor I couldn't do it. After a few more pushes Dr. McCarter came in the room and they started taking the bottom half of the bed off and prepping the room. Dr. McCarter saying, "PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH!" really helped me give it all I could. After a few more pushes, an episiotomy, and a tear she was here! I loved watching Trevor meet her. It was so sweet. After they cleaned her up and weighed her they brought her over to me. It was amazing. Even though I watched her come out of me I still couldn't believe that she was the little person inside of me for the past nine months. After everyone got a chance to hold her I nursed her for the first time. I've always wanted to nurse, so I loved being able to do that right away even though I was so exhausted and still feeling nauseous.

We named her Copelyn Navy. We found the name Copeland in a book of baby names and loved it but thought Copelyn looked more feminine. We named her Navy after my mom. If you knew her, you know why, navy was her signature color. Copelyn was 7 pounds and 19 inches long. Perfection!

The next few days are a bit of a blur as I was adjusting to waking up multiple times in the night. I was so grateful to have such an amazing nurse and doctor, and family and friends to support me.

All ready to go!

Proud (and majorly exhausted) parents!
Best nurse ever!
This picture was too funny not to post. Apparently I was a bit of a mess -- scaring two sisters who have had babies and one who hasn't.
Taylor, Tyson, and Morgan were waiting out in the hall! So as soon as they got the okay they were in there to meet their first niece.

2 comments:

Mickelle said...

Congrats Jenny! She's beautiful!!!

The Welsh's said...

Jenny oh my gosh she is beautiful! Congratulations! And btw I know your aunt Jill, worked with her for a while! Amazing nurse! Love, love, love the name Copelyn! You look good as a mommy, fits you well!