Sunday, July 24, 2011

My mom

For the past few months my mom has been having some health problems. She had an appointment on Thursday morning with a prestigious neurologist at the U of U hospital. Trevor and I had already planned on going to Lake Powell with his family from Wednesday-Sunday. I worried about going because I wasn't sure what to expect from my mom's appointment, but both my mom and dad assured me that there would most likely be no diagnosis and that we should go to Lake Powell.

We decided to go to Lake Powell, so we headed down on Wednesday. On Thursday afternoon Trevor and I put my iPhone in a ziplock bag and rode the wave runner to the channel so that I could call my parents and get an update on my mom's appointment. I was shocked when my parents told me that my mom was diagnosed with ALS. I was overcome with sadness and anger. After hanging up the phone Trevor and I cried together in the middle of the lake for thirty minutes. When we went to turn on the wave runner, it wouldn't work. We then had to flag someone down and they kindly took us back to our houseboat.

I immediately pulled Jeanette aside and told her the devastating news. I felt so trapped being so far away from family without cell phone coverage. I laid on my air mattress on top of the houseboat sobbing. I was grateful to have Trevor there to mourn with me. Jeanette came up a few minutes later and told me she had worked everything out so that we could go home right then. We packed up our stuff and rode to the dock and headed home. I was so grateful that Jeanette worked everything out so that we could be on our way, so grateful for the Squires for driving us to the dock, and to Jodi for letting us borrow her car. Everyone was so wonderful to make that happen.

We made it home safe and sound and have spent the entire weekend with family. I'm so grateful for my family.

I am devastated by this diagnosis. I feel like I haven't had any major trials in my life since my family moved to Korea when I was twelve.This diagnosis and what is to follow is going to be a challenge for me for the rest of my life. Besides Trevor, my mom is my best friend. I can't imagine my life without her in it.

Trevor has been so supportive. I am so grateful for a husband who loves my family as much as I do. He has been my rock.

I'm grateful for such a wise father who continues to remind us that it is okay to be sad and mourn for a little while, but then we are going to be brave and make the best of this challenge. We are going to make these last years as happy as we possibly can.

I'm so grateful for my mother's incredible example. She is the best woman I know. She is facing this challenge with so much faith and hope. I am grateful that at this time in my life I am finished with school, I don't have a job, and that I live nearby. I want to do all that I can for my mom.

The return missionaries from the Korea Daejeon 2001-2004 Mission, as well as many others of us will be fasting for my mom next Sunday, July 31. I look forward to the opportunity to put forth my faith in her behalf. If anyone wants to join, please feel free.

My mom wrote about her diagnosis on her blog, you can read about it here.

22 comments:

Shayli & Kenyon said...

your family is amazing, even through the worst times, they hold strong and have faith! seriously let me know if i can help in any way! love you guys

Karrissa Winward said...

Oh Jen. Thank you for your sweet words. We are praying and fasting and mourning as well but are so impressed with your parents strength and faith. Love you and Trevor so much!!

Chelsea said...

I love you so much Jenny. I am so grateful to have such an amazing example in you and your mom. You are all in my prayers, and remember i am always here for you.

paige and jord said...

Jenny I am so heartbroken for you and your sweet family. What an incredibly difficult thing to go through.. I can't even imagine. Your mom is absolutely amazing and such a great example of faith and strength. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with all of you! Love ya girl!

The Pynes said...

Jenny i am so sorry to hear about your mom.let me know if there is anything i can do for you. MY Heart breaks for you and your family at this time. Your in my prayers.

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Jenni,

Thank you for your sweet post. I read your mom's too and she is so positive with her faith. It's hard to stay strong and keep your faith in difficult times, I somewhat understand that feeling. Your mom is an amazing person and I feel that she has just done so much wonderful work here that the lord needs her and is ready for her to come home, and as unfair is it may seem at least we have been blessed with the knowledge and comfort of the gospel to know one day we all can be together again. Love you and I will most defnitely fast next week.

JR and Amanda said...

Jenny-

I am so sorry! We will be praying for your family.

We love you!

Love,
Amanda

MommaChelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MommaChelle said...

oh Jenny!!!! im so sad to hear this news! I can't imagine how you and your family must be feeling! im so sorry! I will be praying for you and thinking about you often. I havent commented on your blog much but I always read them and I love how you have done quite a few posts about your mom and how grateful you are for her and how much you love her. Its so awesome..you are so awesome!
Michelle

(sorry, the previous comment was me but i had to delete it b/c of my spelling was messed up)

camiwells said...

Jen so sorry to hear that news. I can only imagine the feelings and emotions that you are going through. I wish I lived up there to be there for you. You have such a beautiful testimony and have been raised by such a remarkable family esp your mother. I read her blog and she is absolutely amazing. Your family will be in my prayers. Know that the Lord is there to lean on. Love you

Russ and Misty said...

jenny we are so sorry to hear this. we will be praying for you and your family.

LUCKY7 said...

Jenny-
We are so very sorry! We will pray for you and your mom and your family. I wish there would be more that we could do. You are just the sweetest girl and i'm glad that you have the opportunity to be a strength in your moms life right now. My heart breaks for you jenny. know that we are sending love your way.

Jeanette Cox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JaRelle Bailey said...

I am so sorry Jenny. :( I read your mom's blog and can tell how strong and faithful she is just from that one post. I'll keep her in my prayers :(

Jord & Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jord & Amy said...

I am SO heartbroken and sorry for your mom and family. Please know we are praying for you here in the Sperry house. You're such a good example to the way you're dealing with this. I love you so much, I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

The Kusuda's said...

Hi Jenny :)
You don't know me but I found your blog through a friend's. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. As difficult as the road may be, you will witness so many miracles along the way. You seem like an amazing family. I know that Heavenly Father only gives these kinds of trials to the best of us :)
My little brother was diagnosed with cancer in May. I tell myself everyday that "I can do hard things" and it seems to help me get through the day. Our prayers are with you and your family :)

Kim said...

It's so not fair! I'm so sad for you and your family! Your mom is so incredible.

Makenzie said...

I'm so sorry Jenny!!
We will fast for her this Sunday and call the temple to have her name put on the prayer roll.
Stay strong.

Jen & Chris said...

Jenny you are such an amazing person with such a strong spirit! I know you and your family will be able to get through these tough times. I will remember your family in my prayers! Love you guys!

Lyndsi said...

Jenny--
I am so so incredibly sorry to hear about your Mom. I cannot imagine what you and your family must be going through. Your strong testimony is so inspiring. Please know you and your family are in my prayers. Thinking of you!

Katie Hodgkiss said...

I am so sorry to hear the sad news. We will be praying for her and your family. I love you!