Sunday, July 18, 2010

Palmyra, NY

My cute little brother, Michael was in the Hill Cumorah Pageant in Palmyra, NY. Since my parents and Laura were going out to see him I decided I couldn't miss out either, especially since Georgia is so close (in comparison to Utah)!
Wednesday, July 14
My flight got in around 3PM and then we headed to the hotel. We mostly hung out that day. My parents went to the pageant and Laura and I stayed at the hotel with the kiddos.
So excited to finally be playing with these cute people!

Thursday, July 15
We went to the Smith cabin and frame house as well as the Sacred Grove. The last time I had been to the sites was in 1999, it was good to go back 11 years older. We stopped at the Palmyra temple after wards.
Outside of the Smith Log Cabin with Abby and Andrew
Where the Smith boys slept
Walking to the Frame House
In the Frame House this is one of the places where Joseph hid the golden plates
(Connor hates pictures, which would explain why I have so few with him in them.)
The Sacred Grove
The Palmyra Temple
Directly behind us is the Sacred Grove. The church had to get special permission to cut down some trees so that the Sacred Grove could be viewed from the temple.

On our way back to the hotel we stopped at McDonalds to get a fresh bev and we had quite the experience. The woman working handed my dad all four drinks at once and they spilled everywhere! I felt bad for Laura, because it was her car, and for my dad because he was covered in Diet Coke. Although we did have quite the laugh. We told the woman that she gave us some regular Cokes and we ordered Diet Cokes so she continued handing us drink after drink until we had double what we ordered. It was a disaster, but definitely an unforgettable moment.
8 fresh bevs for 4 people

After we got back to the hotel swimming was a must. The kids LOVED it.

We went to the Hill Cumorah Pageant that night. It was so good to see Michael; he is such a cute boy. I really enjoyed the pageant. It was so fun watching the Buchanan kids get so into it. Andrew definitely loved the "wamanites" the best. I loved the part when Christ comes to the Americas. Michael played the part of Nephi's brother Sam. He is in the scene where they partake of the fruit as well as a few others. He did a good job and I can tell he is enjoying the experiences he is having. The only thing that I didn't enjoy about our evening were the protesters that we had to listen to on our way in and on our way out. But, we didn't let it ruin our night. To read more about that read here.
Getting ready to head to Palmyra for the pageant
Michael before he put on his costume
Michael as Sam
Michael, as Sam, partaking of the fruit
Jesus Christ coming to the Americas

Friday, July 16
My parents flew home and Laura and I made the drive to Tuckahoe with the kids. We made it safely and then got settled at the house.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Great report and pictures, Jenny. I'm so glad you could come.

Eric and Shayly said...

Jenny, That is so fun. That is cool for your brother. How did he get to do that? I didn't know he was into plays and stuff but that is so cool and a wonderful experience.

Gram said...

What a good report about your vacation with the family. I am so happy you were able to go and see everything with family. I am sure you enjoyed it a lot more this time that when you were younger.

Your pictures are really nice and made me wish I was there with all of you. We saw Michael last night when he got home. He said he had a great time.

Richard said...

Great post and pictures, JJ. I enjoyed reliving it through your eyes.

dad