Saturday, September 26, 2009

Long ago

When I was 14 years old and living in Korea, I met Julie B. Beck who was then in the General Young Women Presidency.

While staying in Daejeon, Korea Sister Beck and her husband came to my house while us kids were in school for a lunch with my parents. While they were eating a delightful lunch provided by my mom and enjoying each others conversation, michael (who was supposed to be at school at the time) strolled in. When asked by my mom why he was home and not in school, he explained that he had been suspended for fighting. A funny moment my family will always remember.

I'll always remember the way Sister Beck talked to me, I could feel her genuine care for me. She told me to come visit her in her office in SLC when we returned to the States (in one year.)

Living in Korea for three years granted me so many wonderful opportunities.

This past Saturday was the General Relief Society Broadcast. My heart so was full that evening as I felt inspired to have more charity, to give more service, to look for the good in those around me, and to take better advantage of my calling as a Visiting Teacher.

I can only imagine how much work it is to be in the General RS Presidency, but I hope that those amazing women know that they are loved and appreciated.

I am so grateful for Relief Society.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Jen, you're awesome! I loved that conference too and I think that's awesome that you met Julie Beck. She seems like an incredible person! You are such a good person Jen, you inspire me!

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful for meeting you in Korea, Jen! I love that we keep in regular contact :)
Love, Heather

Troy said...

Well, maybe that Korean needed a little woopin by Michael. I'm pretty sure Sister Beck saw it that way also.

Janet said...

What a wonderful post Jenny! A great memory and I'm so proud of the RS sister you have become!

grant + brittany said...

this was so sweet, i loved reading it.

Gram said...

It was a great conference and I am sure it meant more to you because you have met Sister Beck. We weren't there at the time, as we had already returned home.

You are a great person Jen and I am so happy that you already love Relief Society. RS will always be there for you. The sisters are great wherever you live.

Collette said...

Jenny! i am so glad that i get to be in your ward now! so... i found your blog from looking at Shayli's and think it is so cute!

We would love to take you up on dinner sometime!

Love,
Collette

p.s. we just got a blog, check out ours sometime
collyle.blogspot.com