Sunday, May 24, 2009

{Visiting graves}

In my family it has always been important that at some point during Memorial Day weekend we visit the graves of deceased loved ones and ancestors. My Nana and Papa were always good examples of this, packing up coolers with beverages and snacks to make it a little more fun. So this Friday my dad picked me up at 6:30 AM with a fresh bev waiting and we headed off to decorate the graves.

Springville was our first stop, which is where my Nana and Papa (my dad's parents) are buried. My dad had his car stocked with flowers to place on each of the graves we visited.

We then headed to Lavan, Silver City, and Eureka. In Lavan we visited the grave of my great-great-grandmother, Mary Hansen Sherwood. After joining the church in Iceland she came across the plains with her parents. Dad and I stopped at Mickelson's before heading to Silver City for a delicious breakfast. Silver City is a ghost town and was interesting to visit.

Eureka was next; when we were young we would always go to Eureka for the Tintic Days Parade, what good memories.

I enjoyed the ride with Dad, he told me stories of these great people. I loved learning about them and had a great day with my dad. I'm grateful for the good choices my ancestors have made which have guided me to where I am in so many ways.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I'm so jealous Jen. You are such a great daughter to go with Dad, and I wish so bad I could've shared that memory with you guys. I'm sure you'll cherish that day with Dad forever.

Gram said...

Jenny, that was awesome that you were able to spend the day with your Dad visiting the graves of your ancestors. I remember when you all used to go with Nana and Papa and enjoy the day.

Our ancestors are in Willard and Pocatello so it is a little far to make that trip, however we do have good thoughts of them and we put a pinwheel (American flag) on Cole's grave.

Richard said...

It was fun to spend part of the day with you, Jenny. Thanks for going with me. You made my day!

Love, dad

Richard B said...

You are the best Jen. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some time with your dad and learn some history of your ancestors. Making great memories.

Jackie said...

How fun to be able to do that with your dad! What a great thing to do on Memorial Day. We have a tradition around that same time to go to my grandpa's grave and clean up the area and release balloons. Nice to hear that other people do something similar!